The Faculty of Geology, Geophysics and Environmental Protection at the AGH University of Science and Technology is seeking a short-term, subject-specific support by a research assistant in Mineralogy/Petrography who is motivated to expand his/her field experience on high-grade metamorphic rocks during the conduction of fieldwork for a fixed period of time, 29.07. – 22.08.2022.
– logistic and scientific support during fieldwork in W Norway
– detailed petrographic description of rock exposure, including: mineralogy, deformation textures, mineral textures, reaction textures, mineral microstructures as far as recognisible with the hand lens (inclusions, zonation)
– documentation (photos, sketches, notes) of sampling sites and samples taken
– scientific contribution to the assessment of samples being potentially suitable for the study of extreme metamorphic conditions
– M.Sc. (or equivalent) in earth science, a doctorate in earth science will be an advantage
– ability to carry out fieldwork in a mountainous area
– previous experience on garnet-bearing mafic to ultramafic rock compositions recording extreme metamorphic conditions will be an advantage
– a good eye
– proficiency in English
– enthusiasm and excellent communication skills
Terms of employment
The position is fixed in time, full time and related to a subcontract that is currently awaiting approval to be part of an externally funded project by the Norwegian Financial Mechanism and the Polish National Science Centre, project no. 2020/37/K/ST10/02784. The gross financial support is minor, 1000 PLN, and is meant to help compensating unavoidable expenditures related to taking part in the fieldwork. Regular costs during the entire fieldwork are covered by the project itself. The application, in English, should include a maximal 1 page research statement demonstrating how the required qualifications are met and a CV. Applications should be submitted electronically as a single PDF document less than 3 megabytes in size by 01 July 2022 to Dr. Dirk Spengler, email: email@example.com. The selection will be based on the applications, interviews are envisaged, if appropriate, at the beginning of July 2022 and the notification of the outcome will be shortly afterwards.
The university wishes the staff to reflect the diversity of the society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Further information about this position can be requested to Dr. Dirk Spengler, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aby ubiegać się o tę pracę, wyślij swoje dane e-mailem na email@example.com